It's not all about speed - Siklu Etherhaul- 500TX
Sometimes it’s not all about how fast you can reach your destination, but how reliably you can get there. Quite often we get enquiries asking for gigabit or even multi-gigabit connectivity over wireless bridges and with those high speeds comes a requirement for the links to be as reliable as possible. No one wants their remote site to lose it connectivity, it can be incredibly costly and cause huge headaches for all involved. To provide this resilience and ensured up-time, we must use frequencies and radios we know will do the job.
Let's start with frequencies - one of my colleagues recently wrote a blog about the use of 5Ghz for wireless bridging and in summary, if it's a mission-critical, it's not recommended. Increasingly we are encountering links that are suffering with interference from other 5Ghz radios and thus we are steering customers away from the 5Ghz frequency for mission critical links.
The two most common frequencies used for critical links are 60Ghz (V-Band) 70-80Ghz (E-Band). Neither of the frequencies suffer from the interference that a 5Ghz link will and the radios that use these frequencies tend to offer much higher throughout.
On to Radio Manufactures- there several well know manufactures and everyone who's in the industry has their favourites, but I'll name a few: Fastback, BridgeWave, SIEA, Ceragon and Siklu. They all have good reputations and offer a range that will likely cover your needs but it's probably Siklu that has the most diverse range and they are always cooking up something new.
So, what if you want the reliability without the speed. A sort of Toyota Pickup truck if you like (see Top Gear). As the title suggests, Siklu has a solution.
The EtherHaul- 500TX which is a baby brother of sorts to the EtherHaul- 600 series for those who know the Siklu range. It offers many of the benefits on offer from its big brother but without the higher throughput. It's a perfect replacement for those short 5Ghz links that you can't afford to be down.
- Interference-free 60GHz band facilitates dense deployment and fast frequency planning
- Easy site acquisition and installation on street furniture thanks to minimal palm-sized one box solution
- 11x non-overlapping, user-selectable channels improve scalability even in dense deployments
- Integrated antenna and GbE switch with PoE-In and dual PoE-Out eliminate need for external devices for servicing and cascading
- Sub-millisecond latency facilitates extended cascading while maintaining fiber-like streaming delays and reducing the number of high OPEX aggregations points
- Designed for easy installation and commissioning using embedded tools to optimise channel selection, load testing and zero-touch commissioning
- Installation and support of Siklu radios can be performed by anyone, with minimal training
- One part number support of both 57-64GHz and 64-66GHz sub-bands
- Carrier grade predictable performance ideal for mission critical network connectivity, such as video surveillance, safe city sensors and Wi-Fi backhauling
If this product is of interest, please do get in touch. You can reach us on 01202 612400